On the go and in a pinch yes bars are a great grab, but I always stress real food because it will keep you more satisfied longer than convenient foods. But if you are in a pinch and rely on them read the labels, aim low in sodium and sugar, high in protein!
Here are some of my favorite go to's
Snack Ideas When Traveling –
- Low Sodium Jerky
- Unsweetened Applesauce
- Single Serve Hummus Cups
- Pre-Popped Popcorn
- DIY Trail Mix
- Canned Tuna
- Plain Oatmeal Packets
- Single Serve Cottage Cheese Cups
- Hard Boiled Eggs
- Single Serve Peanut/Almond Butter Packets
- Fresh Produce
- Carton of Chocolate Milk
- Sliced Low Sodium Turkey
Easy and Quick Snack Options –
- Cut cucumber in half lengthwise
- Place lunchmeat slices on top
- Coat with hummus
Eggs with Guacamole
- Hard boil an egg and replace the yolk with 2 Tablespoons of guacamole for a protein-packed snack.
- Boil or steam one-half cup of unshelled edamame with a pinch of salt for a fiber-rich snack.
Spiced Cottage Cheese
- Mix ¾ cup nonfat cottage cheese with a pinch of chili powder and a pinch of curry powder. Top with chopped scallions if desired.
- Wrap three slices of lean, nitrate free deli ham around three cooked asparagus spears.
Mediterranean Rice Cake
- Spread 1 Tablespoon of hummus on a whole grain rice cake. Top with two cucumber slices.
Black Bean Salad
- For a snack with protein and fiber, mix ¼ cup drained black beans, one chopped tomato, half a green bell pepper chopped, and a pinch of chili powder.